Director of Product Strategy & UX
Position: Director of Product Strategy & Design
Position Type: Full Time
Office Location: Los Angeles, CA
STAUFFER is one of Los Angeles' leading full-service agencies. Founded in 2001, STAUFFER has provided open-source solutions for clients across varying industries, sizes, and types, ranging from Full-Service Marketing Agencies and Nonprofit Organizations to Colleges/Universities and Startups.
We've done this through partnering accomplished developers with aspiring engineers, drawing from one another's diverse experiences, unique perspectives, and passion for innovation, in order to create cutting-edge solutions that astound. Together, we build sophisticated and powerful websites that incorporate eye-catching design, with an emphasis on user experience, to deliver remarkable and unique web and mobile applications, on time and on budget.
As Director of Product Strategy & UX, you will be an instrumental member of the Stauffer team. Your role will be to foster a design-thinking, human-centered approach to all of our work, including internal collaboration. You will help our clients define their product vision, and you will lead the Stauffer team in the creation of robust, meaningful, and leading-edge digital experiences.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Including, But Not Limited To)
- Engage directly with client stakeholders to define project vision and requirements
- Present and justify design rationale and key milestone deliverables to peers and stakeholders
- Collaborate directly with project management, engineering, and other key project stakeholders to ensure smooth processes, deliverables, and documentation
- Foster creative collaboration within our organization in a way that supports our company values
- Maintain our case studies, including the collection of project success metrics
- Write occasional blog posts and/or white papers on Design, UX, and Strategy
- Maintain knowledge of design trends and emergent technologies, and regularly participate in industry networking and growth opportunities
- Create and maintain product design standards and processes, including which applications are used, how materials are delivered, and how design requirements are communicated across a cross-functional team
- Evaluate and — where appropriate — propose new approaches, methods, or technologies
- Travel to on-site meetings with clients for design sprints, discovery workshops, product definition, presentations, RFP pitches, etc.
- Provide mentorship, training, and supervision to members of the design team, both in-house and at-large
- Guide design team members with SMART — specific, measurable, actionable, relevant, and timely — goal setting and follow-through
- Participate in personnel processes, including interviewing, hiring, termination, goal-setting, and performance evaluation
- Review team progress and identify opportunities for process and team improvement
- Participate in a weekly management meeting for resource and strategy planning
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Interaction Design or Human-Computer Interaction (or similar) from an accredited college/university
- Ten(10) or more years of professional experience in user experience design and/or product definition and strategy
3+ years leading design teams
- Experience designing for multiple platforms, including web-based, mobile apps, and thick desktop applications
- Proficiency with industry-standard design documentation, wireframing, and prototyping tools such as Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, Abstract, and LucidChart
- Ability to collaborate with stakeholders and find consensus among large teams with varying perspectives
- Experience working in an agile development environment and directly collaborating with engineers
- Ability to redefine design specifications in order to meet timeline and budget limitations while still releasing a meaningful (and usable) product
- Ability to analyze workflow bottlenecks and assist management in streamlining processes by establishing and enforcing policies and procedures
- Strong leadership, diplomatic, and motivational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience designing for accessibility and conforming to WCAG 2.0 Level AA guidelines
- Organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, able to see the big picture, and decisive
- Excellent communication, organization and relationship management skills
- Has the ability to execute under accelerated timeframes and to quickly adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment amidst multiple projects
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS: Nice to have, but not required.
- Experience in the Higher Education, Legal, Healthcare, and/or Film Industry spaces
- Familiarity with Jira
- Familiarity with Material Design
- Familiarity with Design Systems and Component Design
- Experience running Design Sprints
- Familiarity with Drupal, especially Drupal 8, and/or other open source technologies, and/or Drupal 8 Site Builder certification
- CPACC, WAS, or CPWA certification
PERKS & BENEFITS:
- The People!
- Competitive Salaries
- Company Contributed to Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Company-Matched 401k
- Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) Policy
- Unlimited Snacks & Drinks (this includes coffee.. lots of coffee!)
- Company Provided Apple MacBook Pro
- Company Funded Bonding Exercises & Events
- Casual Company Culture & Dress Policy
- Professional Development Training/Certification Reimbursement
- Paid Parking
- Must be able to work onsite Monday-Friday at our office located in Los Angeles, CA
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States of America for any employer
Stauffer’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Please, no recruiters and/or offshore resourcing firms.